Top Business School in Hyderabad

• Are you looking for Top business school in Hyderabad then visit the IMT HYDERABAD. It is one of the topmost business school ranking one in the world. To develop professionals who are committed to excellence in their personal and professional endeavors. The Two Year Full-Time Post Graduate Diploma in Management (General) program consists of six trimesters. The course structure has been designed to ensure that the management graduates of IMT HYDERABAD develop a judicious blend of strategic thinking, tactical implementation, specialized knowledge, and general management skills. For more details visit our website.

• Wow the Titan got spanked pretty bad. An optimization issue I am guessing, although if you had enough for a 1000 dollar video card you would probably be using Octane. Still thanks for the tip, I'll make sure I am using Cuda.

• If you use max and vray, you can get preview renders with vray rt, which supports both CUDA and OpenCL acceleration on NVIDIA cards. Better stick to CUDA though. OpenCL, which Luxrender can also use, doesn't run great on NVIDIA hardware.

Even the Geforce GTX Titan can't keep up with a Radeon 7970 in OpenCL.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-opencl-cuda-workstation,3474-19.html

• Lux does render things well, I like the idea of not having to spam lights, and being able to adjust settings while it renders. Unfortunately though the issue of time, still stands. It takes way too long for it to be of use to me. Even if I cut my current render times in half, to render a set (usually 20-30 images for me) it would take a minimum of 80 hours.

I have moved on to Vray in Max. While Max's interface could use a few decades worth of refinement, the render quality of Vray is incredible. With hybrid rendering I don't have to worry about scene size, and ActiveShader lets me see changes done in real(ish) time. I do appreciate your input, and your willingness to help. Thanks.

• @'matthacker':

1 to 3 hours? Really? I'm assuming you're using CPU only mode, since GPUs tend to produce more samples (though convergence will take longer). I generally saw firely noise generally clears up about 20 minutes or so with hybrid, with some noise still left (depending on the lighting/scene).

I think so yeah, to get rid of that noise completely, but I'll have to check again I suppose :) I don't use GPU acceleration, mainly because I haven't figured out how to use it or if my card supports it.

• @'Sol':

Oh yeah, I would never use that as a finnished image, just meant that after 10 min you can get a pretty accurate sample of what the image is going to be like. For me to get rid of all the noise usually takes 1-3 hours for most images. :)

1 to 3 hours? Really? I'm assuming you're using CPU only mode, since GPUs tend to produce more samples (though convergence will take longer). I generally saw firely noise generally clears up about 20 minutes or so with hybrid, with some noise still left (depending on the lighting/scene).

• @'matthacker':

I don't know Sol. The darker, shadowy areas still have very noticable noise. The render still need a lot more time to cleanup. But that's is the nature of Luxrender - all you can do is throw more samples (ie more time, or more powerful hardware) at it.

Oh yeah, I would never use that as a finnished image, just meant that after 10 min you can get a pretty accurate sample of what the image is going to be like. For me to get rid of all the noise usually takes 1-3 hours for most images. :)

• @'Sol':

I think Reality and Lux works really well, you just have to give it a chance. Once you get a hang of how to optimize your lights and materials, you'll get some pretty good results fast.For example glossy materials produces a lot of noise and takes longer to render.

This one has about 35 S/p and took about 10 mins, addmitedly it's not a very complex scene and there are still some noise in the darker areas but it still pretty fast imo. :)

I don't know Sol. The darker, shadowy areas still have very noticable noise. The render still need a lot more time to cleanup. But that's is the nature of Luxrender - all you can do is throw more samples (ie more time, or more powerful hardware) at it.

• I think Reality and Lux works really well, you just have to give it a chance. Once you get a hang of how to optimize your lights and materials, you'll get some pretty good results fast.For example glossy materials produces a lot of noise and takes longer to render.

This one has about 35 S/p and took about 10 mins, addmitedly it's not a very complex scene and there are still some noise in the darker areas but it still pretty fast imo. :)

[attachment=1276]

• Most of my work only takes a couple of hours. I have rendered images for up to 4 days, so the wait times are a non issue for me. I am working on an ancient Quad Core Duo 2.4Gz with 8 gig of RAM and a GeForce GTS 450 with only 1 gig on it.

So far I only use the default settings. You can get rid of noise by using the Refine Brush. It lets you mark certain areas that you want Lux to concentrate on.

• I have no doubt that Lux has its uses, just cannot fathom spending that kind of time on renders a week. I let the renderer run last night while I slept just to see what kind of quality we are talking about, and while its better than Firefly, after 7 hours the image still had a considerable amount of noise on it.

Lux unfortunately is just not for me, had I done my research and I would be 40 dollars richer lol. Octane looks promising but its quite pricey (especially for a beta!) and my video card only has 2 gigs of ram on it, which will again limit the size of my scenes. I bought 3DSMax and Vray during a school sale late last year, I just haven't taken the time to sink my teeth into it, but I am going to make the time now. Thanks for the help.

• There are a couple of things that can cause some rather nasty render times in Lux. Light and scene complexity. If your scenes are large and complicated (as most of my non-3DX stuff tends to be .. heh) Lux can find itself gasping for air, as it were. So … depending on your intent, you might try thinning out the weight of your scenes.

Second is light .... remember that, in contradiction to Firefly or other biased render engines, Lux is calculating your light based on real world physics. It's not imitating what light does ... it's actually doing it. So having a lot of reflective surfaces in the scene can cause Lux to choke up a little as it's calculating light bounce (which can also leave you with a noticeable amount of noise even after 24 hours of baking). So, as opposed to having as many as 4, 5, 6 ... or hell, even 8-10 lights as I've seen in some Poser set ups, Lux can give equal or better results with 1 or 2 lights.

As I don't use Poser much myself, and thus have no experience with Reality 3 as of yet, it would be hard for me to say how it handles conversion of Poser lights to Lux .... but one of the first things I learned with Reality 1 was to pretty much forget about any Daz light sets entirely. If you're not already doing so, you might try lighting your scenes with the built in Reality lights as they're optimized for use in Lux.

Anyway .... hope that helps at least a little. I wouldn't give up on Reality/Lux just yet ... there is a learning curve involved in going from a biased to non-biased render engine, but the results are worth it. And as you progress with it, you'll always find small ways of making the process that much less painful or tedious.

• Thank you for the insight I almost wish it was something on my end. oh well off to play with another render engine…

• RedRobot is correct. I use Daz and Reality for most of my renders. I do a test render in the 500px x 700 px range as kind of a ranging shot just to make sure my light set up and composition are working. But yeah sadly production images take dang near 8 hours. I'll do most of my scenes during the weekend then render during the week. I'll normally kick one off before I go to work then another when I go to bed. I really do wish there was a way to speed things up a bit as I can't use Daz while the render is going.

• I've been using reality for daz for several months now. Yes, the speed on it leaves a LOT to be desired. It takes anywhere from 8-12 hrs to do a decent 1310x1000 image. My best word of advice would be to a smaller 50% render of your image first to get a feel of it. That can take anywhere from 5-10 mins. You can set the reality to render only one light at a time and then do some layer in photoshop or any other image program you might have. That will cut your rendering time down by a third.
    I'm going to be upgrading my own processor to a 4.2 8 core soon. Hopefully that will cut down on my own work time.

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.