PGDM colleges in Hyderabad

• A postgraduate diploma in management (PGDM) is a diploma course offered by those institutions, which are accredited by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and who are autonomous and are not affiliated with any university.IMT emphasizes the essential connection between theoretical learning and professional experience. Theory and experience linkage is reflected in the core curriculum, ensuring that IMT students always remain one step ahead in the increasingly competitive global environment. Providing exceptional learning opportunities. visit PGDM colleges in Hyderabad

• @'Nephanor':

As for Dr. Manhattan, he is definitely not a Marty Sue. While he does have a lot of power, he still have one huge flaw: losing his humanity. This of course actually helps make the character believable.

@'fredfred5150':

I'm glad you picked up on the "losing his humanity" aspect, and explaining why he's not a "Marty Sue", terrible price to pay for getting all that power, quite sad really

While I agree Doc Manhattan doesn't fall into the category of the Marty Sue, I don't think 'losing humanity' is his flaw. I tend to believe his humanity is still pretty much intact. But he feels trapped - knowing past, present and future. By his own admission, he sees them happening at the same time - and powerless to do anything about it. What was the line? Oh yeah - We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings.

• @'Nephanor':

Bella from Twilight, the #1 Mary Sue known to most people. She is supposedly average looking, and yet seems to get all the attention of the guys.

Maybe shes a "filthy bitch" in the bedroom? :D

@'Nephanor':

As for Dr. Manhattan, he is definitely not a Marty Sue. While he does have a lot of power, he still have one huge flaw: losing his humanity. This of course actually helps make the character believable.

I'm glad you picked up on the "losing his humanity" aspect, and explaining why he's not a "Marty Sue", terrible price to pay for getting all that power, quite sad really

• Actually, Mary Sue's usually have other little things. While they are perfect, they have 'flaws' which aren't really flaws, but just little things tacked on, or forced to make it happen. They tend to be described as 'average' but are clearly not, as the reaction of others to them is anything but. They usually have more skills/abilities/positives than even those who are skilled/gifted/blessed at a particular job. Let's give examples:

Bella from Twilight, the #1 Mary Sue known to most people. She is supposedly average looking, and yet seems to get all the attention of the guys. She doesn't really have any flaws except being clumsy, which is not even a flaw, and only serves to forcibly push the plot forward as Edward 'rescues' her from her clumsiness.

Another example is the 'original' Mary Sue style, which could be someone who is in a story, and they are a nurse, but somehow have better medical knowledge than the doctor themselves.

Are these acceptable? If you aren't making a serious story, sure, go for it. But if you are trying to make a good story, it is a bad idea.

• @'Supro':

The hero/anti-hero has to have character development in a negative way for there to be a big payoff later. The struggle to reach that goal and take their lumps while trying to achieve that end is the summation of the story.

This. It's one of the things I absolutely hate. When the character is just too damn perfect and nothing can faze them. Why would I want to sympathize with a character that doesn't make them human in any way?

So I assume you don't like Dr. Manhattan because of the above reason? (perfect, nothing fazes)

Kind of a related point, but what about when a man or woman is creating characters of the opposite sex?

Don't they basically just create their own idealized version of what it is they want from the opposite sex?

• I dont mind a superior character as long as he or she actually has to find ways to manage things and just somehow seems to make it work, and you can actually see why in a logical way. Copouts and just being plain too powerful is boring though, I got to agree.

What I like is when the the protagonist is a little … simpleminded, and almost stumbles from one mess to the next but somehow gets out of most situations through pure luck/coincidence or by pulling the right lever just in time etc :)

• The hero/anti-hero has to have character development in a negative way for there to be a big payoff later. The struggle to reach that goal and take their lumps while trying to achieve that end is the summation of the story.

This. It's one of the things I absolutely hate. When the character is just too damn perfect and nothing can faze them. Why would I want to sympathize with a character that doesn't make them human in any way?

• Depends on what you are going for. If you are just having fun, sure, why not?

If you are actually trying to tell a compelling story that doesn't get boring, you have to tone that down a lot. Let's face it, the Protagonist is the reason most people will read a story. They are usually our avatar into that world and we look to them to see how to react in that world.

The hero/anti-hero has to have character development in a negative way for there to be a big payoff later. The struggle to reach that goal and take their lumps while trying to achieve that end is the summation of the story.

If you want to see the wrong way to develop a hero, read the Anita Blake stories. That character is more powerful than just about anything in the series. Her look is based directly off of the author and pretty much how she saw herself when she started writing the series.

I could go on and on, but I won't.

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.