Do you want to buy coffee machine?

• Do you want to buy coffee machine? We tell you everything you should know about the art of coffee brewing with the right machine. Follow coffeespecies.com/best-coffee-maker-under-100/.

• Iray was a little confusing at first. I picked up a couple of tutorial videos from Dreamlab and that pretty much taught me the basics of it. For more technical stuff I have a facebook group that i work with that gives me a ton of advice.

• @'HitmanX3Z':

https://www.redshift3d.com/ is better then both of them.

but if you choosing iray vs octane, you should choose new DAZ Studio native render engine - iray, cuz it's really good, but you should study it's settings, etc. to get good results.

Redshift looks interesting, we'll have to see how that turns out.

I installed D|S 4.9, and have been playing around a bit. So far I like it. I have a lot to learn/relearn before I get to customizing the Iray skin shaders, but so far with the 4.9 Iray improvements it seems to do a pretty darn good job out of the box.

I say learn/relearn, as I'm familiar with Poser but haven't used Daz Studio yet until now.

• https://www.redshift3d.com/ is better then both of them.

but if you choosing iray vs octane, you should choose new DAZ Studio native render engine - iray, cuz it's really good, but you should study it's settings, etc. to get good results.

• @'HitmanX3Z':

Octane, Octane, where is physically correct SSS skin shaders in Octane that will renders faster then iRay or CPU render engines? No that popular skin shaders(redspec?) for Octane that looks completely dull, diffusive, plastic, etc. and renders lighting fast ofc. But what the point? As even Poser Pro 2015 can do better and natural looking skin shader then Octane in lighting fast mode? As far as i can see, only couple of people doing here in Octane normal looking humanoid skin with SSS and good reflections in their series, and their render times is quite big…

I'm weighing Iray vs. Octane now. Huh? I thought the millennium 4 version shaders are very good. The Genesis 2 and 3 versions aren't?

• Octane, Octane, where is physically correct SSS skin shaders in Octane that will renders faster then iRay or CPU render engines? No that popular skin shaders(redspec?) for Octane that looks completely dull, diffusive, plastic, etc. and renders lighting fast ofc. But what the point? As even Poser Pro 2015 can do better and natural looking skin shader then Octane in lighting fast mode? As far as i can see, only couple of people doing here in Octane normal looking humanoid skin with SSS and good reflections in their series, and their render times is quite big…

• @'Nox':

Those are some comparisons, my experience is slightly different though.

Here's Poser/Octane:

!

And here's Daz/Iray:

!

As you can see the difference is not very noticeable but it's still there if you look closely.

Come on guys, I get everyone likes their own tool but don't masturbate it in public.

Of course you can't use the same settings in both Iray and Reality and expect the same results. If you want a normal comparison then tweak the materials/lights for both properly and render at highest possible settings available.

This is just silly.

BOOO! Iray, Octane came first they deserve GPU rendering credit

• Nice one! We are able to see some noise on her teeth & few part of the closing BUT WTF it's a 4k pic :D, so we don't care.

Advice for Iray users:
    I was taken a look at Mec4D vidz on YT, it seems CPU acceleration, when it activated, slows your render time so disable it to gain speed.

• I have to agree with your points. I recently got a patch for my GFX card this week. I'm using a singe Nvida GT 970 TI in my rig and I'm pushing out almost nearly completed rendered images in 5-8mins now. I even tried a 4k resolution image that took about 30mins to do. I still had to airbrush a few spots in photoshop afterwards. The only problem I've had with Iray was a recent muti-shot picture I spent all afternoon putting together. I tried redoing it in Reality and it took close to 40mins using CPU acceleration and boost. Even then I still had to play with some of the materials in Reality to get them to look as good as the Iray ones. With the batch renderer I picked up I'm currently only using Iray for my images.
    Here is an example of the 4k image I rendered last night in Iray:
    http://redrobot3d.deviantart.com/art/4K-Cutie-567626665
    I used one HDR image and a small forward mesh light.

• I used Reality on their version 2.0 & 3.0. Haha joke (!) Reality was insanely much longer than Octane, simply crazy i don't know how they build their software to get such difference between both software or even V-Ray (even if scene settings take some times).

Btw when Iray was released i wasn't enthusiast, no skin shaders preset, Redspec TGX looked incredible & Teen Josie 7 came & i admit i was bluffed by her texture. I've tried her in Octane => F****** weird result, TGX doesn't work well on Daz skins (unless you're able to set your mats in Octane).

Now i'm almost exclusively using Iray:

• Render speed = Octane speed (Iray could be faster on scenes with meshlights, Octane react sooooo bad, too much bounces)
    • Lights/HDR renders seems to be a bit better than Octane
    • My top point (!) Octane is crazy unstable, too much crash, i must disable one of my GC or Octane crash & when i'm talking about crash i mean i have to completely restart my computer not just relaunch Octane, seems that Octane has a bad management of resources (when Octane is running you can't do anything, except you have set in your BIOS to use the graphic processor).
      What about Iray ? W T F ! So stable, almost 0 render crash, meshlights render are sooooo fast & i can run my 3 Titans at a time without crashed my computer.

The less => materials editor, iray fucked hard on this part.

Honestly peoples expect Iray will outclass Octane, Iray is made by Nvidia they just knows perfectly the architecture of their GCs so even Octane is currently better than Iray it's only a matter of time (i hope ;) ).

A sample of Iray:
    Scene composition:

• G3
    • G2
    • Stonemason Bedroom
    • 4 meshlights (top of the bed, screens front of the bed, wire (far of the bed) & Screens near wire)

Render done ~ 1h with 3 Titans 6go

• It seems just like yesterday that we released Reality 4.1, and today we have a small update that brings some important improvements. Here is what’s new:
    ◾Fixed the texture “tearing” issue–clear lines interrupting the skin textures–experienced in OpenCL rendering, and sometimes with the CPU accelerated modes. Thanks to LuxRender 1.5.1 (included).
    ◾For Poser users, there is now support for Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
    ◾Anti-aliasing for the Extra Boost option has been improved.
    ◾For Windows users, the self-extracting distribution zipfile now shows a graphic window and asks you for the destination folder.

Reality 4.1.1 is a free upgrade for all Reality 4 users. As usual, you can download Reality 4.1.1 from the download page. Make sure to have your license number available. If you need to find your license you can use our handy form from the Support menu.

http://preta3d.com/reality-4-1-1-has-been-released/

• @'Redrobot':

I ran into another problem later with the V7 Genitals textures by 3feetwofl. I brought this up with him on his Renderotica forum and he gave me some advice, however I'm still getting errors with it.

I run into the same texture problem all the time with my geografts. Not quite sure what 3feetwolf gave as advice, so I will just say what I usually do to correct those problems with Reality 4.1/Lux (as it looks like you used Lux for that render. If this isn't the case, then hopefully it will help someone else).

If you already do these then sorry in advance.

1. In the modeling program Check the "hip" surface texture of the genitals. Make sure it uses the same "diffuse" and "specular" texture files as the texture of the "torso" (Not 100% necessary since you can match textures in Reality4.1 materials tab, but for me it is easier so that I do not forget later on)

2. Export to Reality 4.x and open the materials tab.

3. Find the genital's hierarchy and check the material settings. (most geografts get exported to Reality as a "glossy", instead of a "skin" preset)

4. make sure to switch the "hips" material preset of the genitals, to "skin".

5. Check the SSS settings, and match the new genital "hips" SSS RBG values, with the SSS RGB values of the model's "torso" skin presets.

6. I always match the "Absorption" and "Scattering" scales with the "torso" skin presets.

7. Check the "specular" settings of the genital "hips" texture. sometimes it exports correctly, but most of the time it does not incorporate the "color math" setting that is required. If the "specular" settings do not match the "torso" settings. make them match. Usually pretty easy. just make sure the correct specular texture is being used, and then match the "specular" RGB values.

It is quite a few changes, but I only have to do them once as Reality remembers the settings of that particular model, even when merged into a new scene.

This checklist works for me, I am not a pro by any means, but hopefully it will give a little bit of information that might help you.

• http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/nvidias-next-gen-high-end-graphics-cards-will-get-16gb-of-hbm2-memory/

@ thehawkman

Prediction: Vid card prices from Nvidia will probably be about the same. 500-1200 much like 980ti vs Titan X and 780ti and Titan Black prior.

REGARDLESS - we are in a great time to be rendering. I hopped on my venerable q6600 machine… then said "How did I used to do it?" lol

• The refine brush. Yes that is still included in Luxrender. I used that on some areas that were particularly noisy.

• @'Redrobot':

I'm glad to see such a great discussion going on. I'm certainly learning a lot that's for sure. After some time reading over the reality forums and seeing what might have been causing my problems, I found what was increasing my render times. Under scene configurations I must have been playing with the settings and set "type" to bi-directional. For some reason (according to the posts on the Reality Page), that sets the render engine back to the older Reality 2.0 and 4.0 engine type, meaning that the new speed increases wouldn't activate. Hence why my images were taking hours to render. Once I reset that back to mono-directional I did see an increase in overall performance from reality.
    To test the new features I did 2 seperate renders. One using regular CPU and then the next with CPU+boost. I put the completion times below the images.

With CPU+Boost I was able to shave off about 10mins rendering time.
    I then went back and re-rendered the workout pic from earlier.

This image took about an hour to render. I still had to take it into photoshop and run a denoise on it to smooth out the small patches. An hour is still a bit too long I feel though for a single image. While the skin textures do look more lively than the Iray version, the speed boost didn't seem all that beneficial.
    I ran into another problem later with the V7 Genitals textures by 3feetwofl. I brought this up with him on his Renderotica forum and he gave me some advice, however I'm still getting errors with it.

Why not use the brush included with Reality (can't remember what it's called)? Is it not available anymore? It has a feature where you tell it to focus on the areas that are still noisy and ignore the rest.

• I'm glad to see such a great discussion going on. I'm certainly learning a lot that's for sure. After some time reading over the reality forums and seeing what might have been causing my problems, I found what was increasing my render times. Under scene configurations I must have been playing with the settings and set "type" to bi-directional. For some reason (according to the posts on the Reality Page), that sets the render engine back to the older Reality 2.0 and 4.0 engine type, meaning that the new speed increases wouldn't activate. Hence why my images were taking hours to render. Once I reset that back to mono-directional I did see an increase in overall performance from reality.
    To test the new features I did 2 seperate renders. One using regular CPU and then the next with CPU+boost. I put the completion times below the images.

With CPU+Boost I was able to shave off about 10mins rendering time.
    I then went back and re-rendered the workout pic from earlier.

This image took about an hour to render. I still had to take it into photoshop and run a denoise on it to smooth out the small patches. An hour is still a bit too long I feel though for a single image. While the skin textures do look more lively than the Iray version, the speed boost didn't seem all that beneficial.

• @'gazukull':

@thehawkman

–--------------------------------

As for hardware vs GPU rendering $$$. The Octane license is 300 USD theres abouts thanks to the weak Euro. Poser Plug is about 100 USD. A used 780 ti on ebay is about 265 USD. To answer your question, I paid anywhere from 225-300 for my cards off ebay. I wasn't is a rush, so I did tons of bidding to try and get them for cheapy. I did one face to face with a dude and got a 680 2gb and a 780 for 150 USD, he was a buddy from the old office.

A Intel Core i7-5930K (hex core) is about 584.99 USD not including any other stuff.

Between those two setups the 780 ti is going to run circles around the x86 rendering.

I think the real beauty is, if you got open PCI-E slots, you can just jam in something new and get that much more speed! The little desktop I have been taking to hotels is an i3 with 2 780's, I gotta admit, it is not too bad work on.

On Posers jump to adding in Cycles. It's neat, but I would honestly like to see most bugs fixed from version 11. Like having the preview window not run like ass. Or dynamic hair not go through the body or the fitting room not crash 50% of the time. Or or or....

I don't have any experience working with cycles, so I am not sure how it be usability wise (displacement, that kinda stuff.)

Next personal challenge, get into DS animation tools, which everyone tells me is shit compared to Posers... But I will cross that bridge after DT7 hits market D:

Lastly, and I apologize for being long winded. (stuck in a taco bell for the next few hours... I got nothing else to do but wax poetic) If Pascal is everything it claims its going to be, hell even if its half of what it is claiming... Octane / Iray are going to be AMAZING http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-gtc-2015/ They are estimating 16 GB ram on consumer cards... BONERJAM 2016! With an estimated 60-30% increase in performance depending on application. Got an old i3 box? Drop a new Pascal card in, now render about 30 times faster than you were.

I don't get the point. Just as an example
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?239480-2-7x-Cycles-benchmark-(Updated-BMW)&p=2005700&viewfull=1#post2005700

System 1:
    CPU: Intel i7 2600k
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 460, 1 Go ram
    Time GPU Cuda: 1 mn 14 sec
    Time GPU OpenCL: 1 mn 52 sec
    Time CPU: 5 mn 03 sec ( slow for a i7 2600k ?!?)

I don't know how much faster it can get! And at least with CPU rendering you' don't have the memory limitations of a video card. If it's a thousand dollars for a 6 GB video card a 16 GB card will probably cost over 2000. I could build a server for that kind of money.

One of the Smith Micro artists said that there are changes to the preview window. Maybe it will have live preview, I've heard Cycles has that.

Edit: And also this: http://olivieramrein.com/2012/02/25/blender-cycles-best-hardware-using-the-benchmark-spreadsheet-analysis/#comment-416

• @thehawkman

I got commissions from websites sometimes. Nothing too exciting, usually a scenario like "two girls in tennis skirts make out" To be honest, I have no idea where the content goes and I don't ask questions. LOL

–--------------------------------

As for hardware vs GPU rendering $$$. The Octane license is 300 USD theres abouts thanks to the weak Euro. Poser Plug is about 100 USD. A used 780 ti on ebay is about 265 USD. To answer your question, I paid anywhere from 225-300 for my cards off ebay. I wasn't is a rush, so I did tons of bidding to try and get them for cheapy. I did one face to face with a dude and got a 680 2gb and a 780 for 150 USD, he was a buddy from the old office.

A Intel Core i7-5930K (hex core) is about 584.99 USD not including any other stuff.

Between those two setups the 780 ti is going to run circles around the x86 rendering.

I think the real beauty is, if you got open PCI-E slots, you can just jam in something new and get that much more speed! The little desktop I have been taking to hotels is an i3 with 2 780's, I gotta admit, it is not too bad work on.

On Posers jump to adding in Cycles. It's neat, but I would honestly like to see most bugs fixed from version 11. Like having the preview window not run like ass. Or dynamic hair not go through the body or the fitting room not crash 50% of the time. Or or or....

I don't have any experience working with cycles, so I am not sure how it be usability wise (displacement, that kinda stuff.)

Next personal challenge, get into DS animation tools, which everyone tells me is shit compared to Posers... But I will cross that bridge after DT7 hits market D:

Lastly, and I apologize for being long winded. (stuck in a taco bell for the next few hours... I got nothing else to do but wax poetic) If Pascal is everything it claims its going to be, hell even if its half of what it is claiming... Octane / Iray are going to be AMAZING http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-gtc-2015/ They are estimating 16 GB ram on consumer cards... BONERJAM 2016! With an estimated 60-30% increase in performance depending on application. Got an old i3 box? Drop a new Pascal card in, now render about 30 times faster than you were.

• @'gazukull':

@'thehawkman':

But I needed MOAR rendering power to meet deadlines imposed some clients.

Commissions? Patreon?

As for the rest, interesting stuff, but the Octane licenses kind of offset the CPU savings I would think.

Speaking of GPU rendering, the next Poser will have it as well. Not sure if they planned it all along or if it was thanks to the "bullies" (because that's how criticism is viewed at RuntimeDNA) who told them they'd look ridiculous with slow-ass CPU rendering only when everyone else had the video rendering option. It's going to be CUDA only so I guess Radeon users aren't invited. Edit: Forgot to ask, each card cost $125? I thought one cost about $600? You got quite a discount if that's the case.

• @'thehawkman':

12 Octane licenses and 12 computers? What did you do? Rob a bank?

@ thehawkman

Nah man! It's 1 license per machine (I have three machines) with a max of 12 GPU's on a network. So in my case, I built three modest systems. Shit processors - not important for Octane (i3 chips). Just made sure the mobo's have 4 PCI slots for the cards. They were like $125 each off Amazon. 4 used 780 Ti or 780 GTX off ebay. The part that hurt my panties was the PSU and the watercooling. I went with all super cheap parts, most of the water blocks were used off ebay as well. Bargain basement cases - but needed at least 10 expansion slots.

Shot of the guts of a renderbox. It's not all superfly like the guys on the Octane forum, but I got it built for about the price of a TitanX.

IN RETROSPECT, I wish I did not have a third Octane license since I jumped to DS. /shrug

I thought about making an article / post for the forum called "Build a Box for Octane or Iray".. but it is kinda dead around here… lol and It might have attracted the ire of AMD fanboys as most of my suggestions are intel / nvidia. Oddly enough I game on AMD...

EDIT: Just for FYI and sharing of knowledge, I used to run a crazy air cooled rack:

But I needed MOAR rendering power to meet deadlines imposed some clients.

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.